What Are IVF And ICSI?
Both IVF and ICSI are a form of artificial Reproductive Technology (ART) that helps infertile couples conceive a child by fertilizing the eggs with sperms outside the body.
The doctor in the IVF Centre in Ludhiana uses IVF treatment for unexplained and female infertility.
Whereas the doctor uses ICSI Treatment in Ludhiana to overcome the issue of male cause of infertility.
There are also times when the doctor offers ICSI when there is no connectivity to a male causing infertility.
Steps Involved In IVF And ICSI Treatment
These are the following steps that the doctor follows in ICSI or IVF treatment.
- Hormone Stimulation
The surgeon stimulates the woman’s ovaries with the help of a hormone stimulation course. It is an injectable fertility drug.
- Egg retrieval
After the hormonal stimulation, the eggs become mature. The doctor further proceeds to retrieve the eggs while the woman is under the influence of anesthesia.
- Embryo Development
If you use IVF, the doctor will add the sperm from the male partner or donor to the eggs for fertilization. When the doctor is using ICSI treatment, the scientists pick only one single sperm and inject it into the egg directly with the help of a microscopic needle. After that, the doctor keeps the sperm and the egg in the laboratory for at least 2 to 5 days for the embryos to develop.
- Embryo transfer
The next step is to transfer the embryo. After the egg is fertilized in the lab, the doctor places one or more than one embryos in the woman’s uterus. Sometimes, the patients freeze several developing eggs for later use.
- Test for clinical pregnancy
Two weeks after the doctor transfers the embryo into the woman’s uterus, the doctor will ask you to have a blood test to check if the treatment is successful or not.
- In case the test is positive, the doctor will schedule an ultrasound examination two weeks later. This will help them understand if the pregnancy is growing normally or not. Also, do know that clinical pregnancy does not guarantee the birth of a child; a miscarriage can also happen.
- In case the test is negative, the woman will have their menstrual cycle and have to undergo another IVF or ICSI treatment cycle. If the patient has frozen embryos, then the doctor might be able to replace them without stimulating the ovaries.
What Are The Costs Of IVF And ICSI?
The cost of both procedures depends on the case of the patients, the complication, and the number of cycles they must undergo to succeed.
What Can You Do with Unused Embryos?
There are times when people have embryos in storage that they do not use. In most situations, the reason is that they complete their family. But there are also situations where the patient’s health stops them from using unused embryos.
There are four options that you can choose from:
- You can apply for an extension of storage time.
- You can dispose of the embryos
- You can let them use your embryos for research
- Donate the embryos to an infertile couple or person